Thursday, November 11, 2010

Embracing the love of God notes

chapter 1:
pg. 13 he quotes 1 John 4:10 "10In this is love, not that we have loved God but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins." Than he makes this awesome comment. "Even when I was far and distant from God, God loved me first. Even when I was unbelieving and angry with God, God loved me first. Even when I was serving a false God, God loved me first." I thought that was awesome. No matter what we have done, or will do, God knew it all, and still He loved us first! :-)

Theres so many good quotes and thoughts in this book by James Bryan Smith, Unfortunately I cant quote them all, but this is an excerpt from a prayer that James had found. "...When I withdraw from the distractions of the day and turn my soul toward You, You are there first and thus forever. And we speak ungratefully as if You have loved us first only once." I would encourage you guys to pick this book up, or borrow it as I am so that you may read all of it.

This is cool, he begins to talk about creation. And how in creation, Gods love is shown. But he quotes G.K. Chesterson who made a great point. Scientists like to talk about all these laws of nature. But he claims there is no laws of nature :-P Its cool, check it out "He pointed out that nature is not a system of necessity. Yes, the sun will probably come up tomorrow, but it need not. Perhaps each day God says to the sun, "Arise! Go forth!" Yes grass is typically green, but it need not be. God could make it purple if He wished. There are no "laws" of nature. God can do whatever He wishes. Frogs jump and birds fly and water flows down hill. Not because of "laws," but because God wishes them to do so. He notes, "It is not a necessity, for though we can count on it practically, we have no right to say that it must always happen." " (pg.15)

this quote is hard core in the awesomeness category!!! "...I have never used anyone but sinners to share my good news, and I have never had it preached to anyone but sinners. The message is not about you, it is about me." (pg.20)

"I thought of God's acceptance as something I could lose by my behavior. It was not logical for me to think this, since I did not do anything to gain Gods acceptance in the first place. How can we lose something that we did not earn?" (pg. 21)

And chapter 1 ends with this sweet prayer! If you are reading these notes and my favorite parts of chapter one. Please pray this prayer for me, as well as yourself. "Dearest Lord, let your holy love possess me wholly."

2 comments:

Angie said...

I am glad you are enjoying this book. I love a lot of those quotes also. Just wait, there are plently more coming. This book, was such a challenge to my like, and life-changing. Praying for you my friend!

wolfwatcher said...

Thank you so much Angie :-) I appreciate it!